Saturday, August 23, 2008

Wednesday was a great day!  What could be more excting than watching your son leave on a mission.  I am so happy for him.  We didn't have to drop him off until 12:00, so the morning was very relaxing.  We had a big waffle breakfast together.  Talked outside on the patio for awhile as Erin sat on her big brother's lap.  We arrived in Provo a half an hour later so we went to the Provo temple and took pictures with Spence.  Then we went to the MTC to check him in.  Spence is a very loving son.  He walked around with his arms around Erin and myself. (korie went to school, because she had several tests she didn't want to miss)  During the meeting Spencer put his arms around both Erin and me who sat on either side of him.  His arms were there the entire meeting which was so sweet.  After the meeting we stood up for our last hug for two years.  Russ hugged him first and was overcome with emotion and cried out loud.  Spencer told him several times how much he loved him, and how he was the perfect Dad for him.  That was it for me I followed with plenty of my own tears.  He commented that Erin was doing better than me.  She's the sobber in the family.  I told him I was so excited for him and to go and have a great mission.  He hugged his brother and sister and left.  Right before he disappeared behind the wall he stopped and gave us one last wave and smile.  I could see he was full of emotion.  But I knew he would be fine as they wisked him away.  

Erin sobbed so much that night she came up and asked Russ to give her a blessing.  She finally calmed herself down enough to go to sleep.  We are all doing great now.  We received a letter he wrote the night of his first day.  He said,"I feel weird saying this but so far I can honestly say that I love it here.  He mentions numerous times how friendly everybody is. He has two companions that he says are very cool.  One a small guy who is a semi pro rock climber. and the other who is taller and skinnier than him, who played football, basketball, and baseball in Highschool so that I guess is what makes them cool.  He said, "even the nerds aren't bad."  He said he learned the order of the hardest languages to learn were first finnish, second armenian, than korean, and after that he wasn't paying to much attention after they said armenian was the second hardest to learn.  (Pray for him to be able to learn it quickly)  

The second best part of the letter after hearing how happy he was was his P.S. "The church is TRUE!"  My excitement for him far exceeds my missing him.  I am just one happy mom!!!!

Than

No comments: